Halloween is coming and here at Attic we couldn't be more excited! We love the spooky season - it gives us an excuse to be creative and dress up, to invite our friends over and, especially, make some spooky treats for us all to enjoy. Here's one of our favourite recipes for Halloween cookies!
225g Butter (kept at room temperature)
340g self raising flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp of vanilla extract
Pre-heat oven to 175C
1. Combine the butter and sugar in a bowl. You can use an electric mixer but we prefer to beat it by hand with a wooden spoon (if you have the time!). The mixture will become a soft, creamy white once all the sugar is mixed in.
2. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, sieve the flour and the salt together. Gradually add to the wet mixture, stirring constantly until you have a tight dough that you can lift and shape with your hands.
4. Prepare a clean surface and dust with flour. Roll out the cookie mixture until it is half a centimeter thick all over.
5. Pick your favourite spooky cookie cutters and cut out your cookies. You can collect the off-cuts and roll them out again to minimise wastage and maximise cookies!
6. Lay a sheet of non-stick baking paper on a baking sheet. Carefully place your cookies on the sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes until the edges turn a very light golden colour. Let cool for 20 minutes.
7. Prepare your icing by warming 50ml of water. Add icing sugar until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon without dripping excessively. Add food colouring (we suggest gel based for consistency) to your liking.
8. When your cookies are cool to the touch you can start decorating them! Add sugar paper cut outs, sprinkles and sugar pearls for more decoration. Make them super scary or cute and adorable, full of colour or black and white ghosts - but most of all have fun!
9. Sit back and enjoy! Share with your friends or keep them all to yourself and enjoy the Halloween season.